4 block applique

I haven't been quilting much this week as my parents have been here visiting. Last night I did get the last 2 borders sewn on this applique quilt. I had finished the borders months ago - I don't know why I didn't sew them on immediately. I suspect this quilt will sit in the UFO pile again for a bit while I work up the courage to hand quilt it.
I thought I'd show a bit of a closer view of the block design. I thought it would be easier to applique on smaller background pieces so I pieced the blocks from 4 finished 9 inch sections with 1/4 of the design on each. I'm not sure it was a good idea - I have seams in my blocks now but that's how I learn - trial and error! :0)
It is an original design inspired by an antique quilt made around 1860 in the University of Nebraska-Lincoln collection. This picture is from a book but its on their website too. I LOVE to look at antique quilts for inspiration!
So now I need to get a new applique project started soon.... LOL
Happy Quilting!